The Alabama football coaching team selected nine Players of the Week after the team’s 34-0 win over Austin Peay.
A total of three players on offense, four on defense, and two on special teams were named by the Crimson Tide coaches.
On offense, wide receiver Jermaine Burton, running back Jase McClellan and center Seth McLaughlin were named. Burton led all Crimson Tide receivers with seven catches for 128 yards and two touchdowns. McClellan recorded a career-high 156 rushing yards and two rushing touchdowns. McLaughlin didn’t give up a sack against the governors.
Defensemen Brian Branch and DeMarcco Hellams and linebackers Will Anderson Jr. and Henry To’oTo’o were selected for defense. Branch Tide for the team lead in tackles with eight and recorded an interception while Hellams recorded seven tackles. Meanwhile, Anderson recorded four tackles and a broken pass, while To’oTo’o connected Branch with eight tackles.
Wide receiver Christian Leary and linebacker Quandarrius Robinson were the two players selected for special teams. Robinson recorded two tackles on kickoff coverage while Leary recorded one.
Here’s the full release, courtesy of Alabama Athletics:
Alabama coaching staff names nine Player of the Week after Austin Peay win
Three on offense, four on defense, and two on special teams were recognized.
The Alabama coaching staff selected nine Players of the Week following the Crimson Tide’s shutout win over Austin Peay last Saturday. Jermaine Burton, Jase McClellan and Seth McLaughlin on offense; Will Anderson Jr., Brian Branch, DeMarcco Hellams and Henry To’oTo’o on defense; and Christian Leary and Quandarrius Robinson on special teams were all selected for their efforts in Tide’s victory outside of the conference.
- Lead all wideouts with a game high of seven catches for 128 yards and two scores
- His catches and yards were season-highs while he tied for his season-best touchdowns
- Found the end zone on four and 10 yard receptions
- Has a career-high rushing 156 yards and two touchdowns with just 17 carries
- Averaging 9.2 yards per carry with a 35 long rush
- Scored with a one-yard rush to put Alabama on the board followed by a nine-yard rush midway through the third quarter
- Didn’t concede a sack, pressure, or quarterback hit in 30 pass attempts
- A total of three knockdown blocks in the running game
- Helped UA’s offensive line control the line of scrimmage to rush for 263 yards and finish with 527 total yards of offense
Will Anderson Jr.
- Recorded four tackles against the Governors
- Added a pass separation that he almost picked up
- Tie for team lead in tackles with eight stops including one for loss (-2 yards)
- Also picked up a pass, one of Alabama’s two interceptions of the contest
De Marcco Hellams
- Posted seven tackles from his safety spot
- Helped the Tide defense limit Austin Peay to just 206 yards on the day, including just a 59 rushing
- Matched Branch with a team high of eight total tackles
- Managed an Alabama unit that APU held just 12 first downs
- Notched one tackle on kickoff coverage
- He also saw time in the wideout in the non-conference pairing
- Led the Tide Special Teamers with two tackles in kickoff coverage
- Earns snaps at the middle linebacker to go with his work on special teams