This pumpkin layered cake is just the thing for winter: comforting flavors, cozy texture, and relatively easy to make.
Here, fluffy pumpkin pie is layered between brown sugar and cinnamon filling and topped with a simple vanilla buttercream.
This cake pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee and stays moist for days—not that it lasts that long.
Click here for a printable version.
Pumpkin Layer Cake
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
For the cake:
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 cup Whole milk, at room temperature
For the filling:
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cinammon
- 2 tablespoons water
For the buttercream:
How to bake the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease three 8-inch round pans with cooking spray and cut out rounds of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan. Put aside.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream the butter on medium speed until smooth, 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the sugar and beat until smooth, another 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, beating on low speed after each addition until evenly combined.
- Add the vanilla and pumpkin and mix on low to combine. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture. Stir on low to combine.
- Add half the milk and stir on low to combine.
- Repeat this process with the remaining dry and wet ingredients. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and fold in any unincorporated bits.
- Divide the batter evenly among the three ramekins and smooth out with an offset spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-23 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Preparation of the filling:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
Prepare the buttercream and cake:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter on medium speed until smooth and slightly pale, about 3 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon and beat 1 more minute.
- Add the milk and beat until smooth and fluffy, about 1 more minute.
- Assemble the cake by first using a serrated knife to level the cakes. Pour a small amount of the cinnamon-sugar soaking water onto two of the layers to soak.
- Spread a small amount of buttercream onto an 8-inch cake board. Place your first cake base on the board with the cinnamon sauce and spread the buttercream on top with an offset spatula. Continue layering your cakes and buttercream, finishing with the cake layer that wasn’t soaked and using an offset spatula to smooth the frosting on the outside as desired. Decorate with the remaining icing.
Kate Wood’s recipes are on her wood and spoon blog and continue Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.