FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Alabama fifth graders Abby Marjama entered the single-season and career top 10 serving aces rankings in Sunday’s game against Arkansas as the Crimson Tide fell 18-25, 16-25, 27-29 to the Razorbacks in three sets.
Needing three aces before Sunday’s game between Alabama (9-19, 3-13 SEC) and Arkansas (17-8, 8-7 SEC), Abby Marjama finished the match with that number to climb into a season and career top 10 at UA. Marjama has 66 aces this season, tied for 10th with Nancy Woolsey (1979) and Erin Price (2002). The 66 aces is the most in a season for any Tide player since Mary Catherine Aunes’ 67 in the 2007 season. Marjama also builds on Jennifer Bibber’s (2000-03) career mark of 126 and is now just a step behind Kryssi Daniels ( 2012-15) in ninth place. The 126 only reflects Marjama’s total in Alabama, as she has accumulated 202, including her two seasons at UC Irvine.
The teams traded back and forth early in the first game, separating six times as it went 6-6 before Arkansas began to retire and had a four-point lead at the media timeout. Alabama took a timeout at 20-15 and later with the same lead at 23-18, the Razorbacks hit back-to-back to end the set 25-18. Arkansas started the second set with a 4-1 run, but Alabama quickly fought back to take an 8-7 lead. With the tide of 11-10 up front, the Razorbacks rattled four unanswered and Alabama tried to stop the momentum with a timeout. The Tide took his second timeout at 20-15 and Arkansas would win the set 25-16.
Alabama got off to a hot start in the third set, going 10-5 ahead before Arkansas had to call an early timeout. The lead returned in the home side’s favor as the Razorbacks started an 8-0 run to take a 13-11 lead. After a timeout of 17:12, The Tide came back with a 6:1 and equalized 18:18. Arkansas took a 22-19 lead, but Alabama got to the set point first, 24-23, and tried to extend the match. The teams would combine for four set points before the Razorbacks finally finished it 29-27.
- Abby Marjamas Three Aces ranks her 10th on both the single season and career top 10 lists in Alabama
- Marjama’s 66 aces this season ties with Nancy Woolsey (1979) and Erin Price (2002) and the most for any UA player since Mary Cathern Aunes’ 67 in the 2007 season
- Marjama’s 126 aces as a member of the Crimson Tide builds on Jennifer Bibber’s (2000-03) career mark and is just one behind Kryssi Daniels (2012-15) in ninth place.
- Four players lay with four blocks for the team lead, including a season-high for Maddy McCormick
sentence by sentence
- Set 1: Arkansas 25, Alabama 18
- Set 2: Arkansas 25, Alabama 16
- Set 3: Arkansas 29, Alabama 27
Next: vs. Tennessee (Tuscaloosa, Alabama)
- Wednesday, Nov. 23 – 7pm CT
- Friday, Nov. 25 – 5 p.m. CT