Maine Football suffers a heartbreaking loss to UNH 42-41

ORONO, Maine (WABI) — On Saturday, the Maine Black Bears faced the New Hampshire Wildcats for the 110th time.

And for the 74th time these teams have fought for the Brice Cowell Musket.

New Hampshire came in with the lead in the series, but Maine defended the hardware.

And the crowd here in Orono was eager to see Black Bear Football.

“I think it’s going to be 40-0!” said Dylan Vandez, Maine football fanatic.

In the long history of the rivalry, it took New Hampshire 6 years to get their first points, but in this competition they got on the board first.

Junior running back Dylan Laube broke the deadlock with a 3-yard touchdown with 6:50 to go in the first.

The visitors built a two-point lead early in the 2nd with a 33-yard touchdown reception from DJ Linkins.

Elijah Barnwell lost 0-14 late in the 2nd, giving Maine the first points of the day after a 1-yard run in the wildcat formation just moments after breaking free on a 57-yard run.

UNH went out to another two-point lead after a 15-yard rush from Laube.

With 6 seconds into the half, Barnwell brought it in for a 1-yard touchdown, his second of the day.

Maine went into the half at 21:14.

The Wildcats once again held a 14-point lead after a 48-yard run by Laube for his 3rd touchdown of the afternoon.

On their first play of the drive, Zavier Scott broke free on a 75-yard touchdown, shaking off a defender before scoring.

That brought the competition to a score of 28-21.

Maine started 4th with a bang…

QB Joe Fagnano held the ball himself on an 11-yard rush that brought the game back to level.

New Hampshire regained their advantage with a 6-yard touchdown pass to Adam Deese.

With minutes left, Barnwell ran for a 2-yard touchdown to level the score at 35-35.

With both defenses standing, the border battle was suspended indefinitely.

UNH pressed with a touchdown from Kyle Lepkowski.

Maine found themselves in a 4th and 18th place and needed a miracle.

In a game more akin to what you might see in a Rugby Sevens match, Barnwell caught Fagnano’s pass, who then threw it to Moss.

The wide receiver turned and threw the ball down at Rohan Jones.

A sea of ​​baby blue jerseys and a path to the end zone awaited the first year.

The referee dived towards the pylon and raised his arms to indicate that the improbable had come true.

Maine chose everything.

They braced themselves for a two-point conversion and knew that no matter how the game turned out, this would be the last snap of the season.

Fagnano threw it to Freddie Brock, but it was tipped and fell into the arms of UNH linebacker Bryce Shaw.

New Hampshire recaptured the Musket 42-41.